MERIDIAN PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT HONORS SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS
Meridian is joining 537 local and 56 intermediate school districts across Michigan to celebrate January as School Board Recognition Month. “In another year full of challenges for public education, our school board members persevered through the adversity of 2021 to provide the best possible education for our students,” said Superintendent Craig Carmoney, “Celebrating School Board Recognition Month is one of the very small ways to express appreciation for all they do.”
School board members represent the views and priorities of their community in the complex system of maintaining and running a district’s public schools and they reinforce the principle of local control over public education. “Too often, the efforts of school board members go unrecognized,” Superintendent Carmoney, said.
The school board’s main goal is to support student achievement, while focusing on the following needs:
- Creating a vision for what parents and citizens want their school district to become and how to make student achievement the top priority.
- Setting standards for what students must learn and be able to do.
- Assessing whether schools achieve their goals and whether students are learning.
- Aligning the use of the district’s human and financial resources.
- Creating a safe and orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach.
- Collaborating to solve common problems and to support common successes.
- Focusing on continuous improvement by questioning, examining, revising, refining and revisiting issues related to student achievement.
“Even though we are making a special effort during January to show appreciation for our school board members, we recognize their contributions reflect a year-round commitment”, said Superintendent Carmoney, “No matter what challenges lie ahead, our school board members will continue to govern to improve student achievement and provide exceptional education for all our community’s children.”
The individuals serving Meridian Public Schools and their years of service are:
President – Michael Bowen, 27 ½ years
Vice-President – Stephen Grubaugh, 5 years
Secretary – Dennis Cole, 20 ½ years
Treasurer – Rebecca Hitsman, 10 years
Trustee – Kristina Brawt, 2 ½ years
Trustee – Megan Clark, 1 year
Trustee – Janice Goodall, 8 years